Spring Green Minestrone Soup
- 2 Tablespoons Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil
- 1 Leek, white and pale-green parts only, chopped
- 1 Large (or several small) bulb spring onion, diced, about 1/2 cup
- 1 Large or 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 6 Cups chicken or vegetable stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/2 Cup tiny gluten-free pasta (optional)
- 1 Lb. asparagus spears, woody ends discarded and cut into 1-inch pieces on an angle
- 1 Lb. green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces on an angle
- 1/2 Cup pesto (below)
- 1 Heaping cup fresh or frozen and thawed peas
- 2 Heaping cups baby spinach
- For topping: pesto (below), fresh chives, fresh mint, lemon zest
- 2 Packed cups basil
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 1/4 Cup pine nuts
- 1/2 Cup Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil
- 1/2 Cup parmesan cheese, grated (optional, see notes)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Add 2 tablespoonsThrive® Culinary Algae Oil to a large dutch oven or sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the leek and onion, cook for 5-8 minutes, add garlic and cook an additional 1 minute. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Stir in the 1/2 cup tiny gluten-free pasta, add asparagus and green beans. Simmer for 8-10 minutes until the pasta is tender but still a little al dente and the veggies are tender but still have a bite to them. Add in the pesto, the peas and the spinach. Give it all a good stir. Cook two minutes longer, until the peas are cooked and the greens have wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat.
- Ladle the soup into your bowls and top with a dollop of pesto, fresh chives, mint, lemon zest, etc. and serve.
- Optional additional or alternative add-ins: cooked cannellini beans or fava beans, carrots, fennel, sugar snap peas, swiss chard
- While the soup is cooking make the pesto. In a food processor, combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts and pulse until finely chopped. With the processor running, slowly add the Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil. Process until smooth, add the parmesan cheese, if using, and pulse several times to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you wish to avoid the cheese, opt for an additional 1/4 cup pine nuts, instead.