Roasted Baby Root Vegetables with Pumpkin Seed Dip
Chef Caroline Fey of The City Kitchen San Francisco
Roasted Root Vegetables
- 2 Bunches tiny carrots, greens trimmed on top, leaving about 1 inch remaining
- 2 Bunches tiny parsnips, greens trimmed on top, leaving about 1 inch remaining
- 2 Bunches Easter egg radishes, greens trimmed on top, leaving about 1 inch remaining
- 2 tablespoons Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil
- 1 1⁄2 Teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 Teaspoon pepper
Pumpkin Seed Dip
- 1 Cup raw pepitas
- 1⁄4 Cup Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil, divided
- 1⁄2 Cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 Large jalapeño—stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 Cup packed parsley leaves
- 1⁄4 Cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1 1⁄2 Teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1⁄4 Cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 Teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 Cup orange juice
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin (confirm brand ingredients if celiac)
- 1 Teaspoon ground coriander (confirm brand ingredients if celiac)
- 2 Teaspoons kosher salt
- Prepare the Pumpkin Seed Dip: In a large skillet, toast the pumpkin seeds over moderate heat, tossing occasionally, until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a food processor.
- In the skillet, heat 2 tablespoons Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil until shimmering. Add the shallots, jalapeño, garlic and a generous pinch of salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the food processor and let cool.
- Add the remaining Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil, parsley, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, orange zest, orange juice, spices, salt and 1⁄4 cup of water to the food processor and purée until nearly smooth.
- Prepare the roasted baby vegetables: Preheat the oven to 425° F with convection on if possible.
- If the carrots or parsnips are on the larger side, cut them in half lengthwise. If they are very dirty or hairy, gently peel them with a vegetable peeler.
- Put all of the vegetables in a large pot of boiling salted water for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl of ice water. Once cool, drain and pat dry. Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, tossing to coat.
- Roast for 10 to 12 minutes, or until browned and crispy on the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving with the pumpkin seed dip.