Serves 4 Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 10 min
- 4 Large Portobello caps
- 4 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil
- 1 Tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 Cup plant-based mayo (or plain yogurt or 1 small avocado)
- 1 Teaspoon lemon zest + juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 Cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 Garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
- Remove the stems from the Portobello caps and wipe each one clean with a damp paper towel. Arrange them facing up in a shallow baking dish then set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, oil, tamari, oregano, and a pinch of salt & pepper. Pour the marinade on each of the mushroom caps and use your fingers to spread it out to the sides and bottom. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the aioli by combining the mayo, lemon zest and juice, basil and garlic in a blender. Blend on high until smooth. Add one to teaspoons of water if needed to thin. Taste test and add salt as desired.
- Lightly grease a grill pan or cast iron skillet then warm over medium heat. Add the mushroom caps and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side, until tender. Serve warm with basil aioli and enjoy!