Warning: Illegal string offset 'target' in /home/thrivea/thrive/web/wp-content/themes/thrive/inc/extras.php on line 57
- ½ cup packed coconut sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, or gluten-free flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup whole milk or oat milk for dairy-free fritters
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- Thrive oil for frying
- 1½ cups coconut sugar + 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 5 to 6 tablespoons warm water
- Wire spider or metal slotted spoon for frying the fritters
Whisk the sugar and eggs together in a large bowl until slightly pale. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add the dry ingredients and the milk to the bowl with the eggs and stir to combine.
In another bowl, mix the apples with the lemon juice. Add the apples to the batter and stir until well blended.
Heat the Thrive oil to 375° F.
Using two large spoons, gently drop spoonsful of batter into the hot oil. Fry fritters for about 1 minute on each side, until golden brown. Drain the fritters on a wire rack over a baking sheet and allow to cool slightly before glazing.
Make coconut sugar powdered sugar by putting the coconut sugar and arrowroot powder or cornstarch together in a blender and blitzing it on high for 50 seconds, until a fine powder forms. If you don’t have a powerful blender, you will have to do this in small batches. If you have a powerful blender, like a Vitamix, you can do it in two batches.
Mix the powdered sugar with the vanilla and water until a thin glaze forms.
Using a pastry brush, brush this glaze over the top of the fritter. Let glaze harden slightly, turn it over and brush glaze on the bottom. Place glazed fritters back on the wire rack to allow the glaze to harden.