Grain-Free Crispy Chicken Skewers with Mustard Aioli
Beth Manos Brickey of Tasty-Yummies.com
Grain- Free Crispy Chicken Skewers
- 2 Lbs. boneless, skinless organic, free range chicken breast, cut into 1-inch thick tenders/strips
- 2 Large eggs (preferably local, pasture-raised)
- 2 Teaspoons water
- 1 Cup almond flour
- 1/4 Cup tapioca starch
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Cup Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Large egg yolk (preferably local, pasture-raised)
- 2 Teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 Cup Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil
- 2 Tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 Tablespoon water, plus more if needed
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs with 2 teaspoons water. In another bowl, whisk together the almond flour, tapioca starch, garlic powder and salt.
- Thread each strip of chicken onto a skewer and dip into the egg mixture, evenly coating, then coat all sides in the flour mixture. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat (you’ll want about 1-inch of oil, so more or less as needed). You want the oil hot enough to sizzle and make the tenders golden brown, but not so hot that they burn.
- Working in batches cook the skewers until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate when they are done and allow to drain while you cook the others. Add more oil to the pan, as needed.
- For the mustard aioli, whisk together Dijon mustard, egg yolk, lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Pour in the Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until emulsified and thick. Whisk in grainy mustard. You can thin with a tablespoon of water, if too thick.