Cheesy Zucchini Tater Tots
Nicole Harris of WonkyWonderful.com
- 2 Cups Shredded Zucchini (1-2 zucchini)
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Large Eggs - lightly beaten
- Small Pinch Salt/Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- Pinch Salt/Pepper
- 3/4 Cup Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil for frying
- Use a large stand up grater to shred the zucchini and potatoes. Transfer to a cutting board lined with paper towels, place more paper towels on top and press down firmly to absorb any moisture. Transfer to large bowl then add shredded cheese and eggs. Stir gently until evenly coated with egg.
- Mix salt, pepper, flour, panko and garlic powder. Gradually add dry ingredients to zucchini mixture while stirring.
- Mix breading ingredients in a shallow dish.
- Form zucchini mixture into tater tot shapes (This recipe will make approximately 20 tots depending on size). Roll each tot in breading mixture until lightly coated. Transfer to cutting board or platter.
- In large cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium for 5 minutes. Drop a small piece of zucchini in oil, once it gets a good sizzle the oil is ready.
- Fry tots in two batches so the pan does not get over crowded. Fry and rotate tots in oil until all sides are golden brown. Transfer fried tots to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley and lemon zest.
- To make the Cajun Dip; mix sour cream, Cajun spice, lemon zest, hot sauce and worcestershire sauce to desired flavor and consistency.
- These tots reheat well. Just wrap in foil and bake at 400°F for about 10 minutes.
- If you prefer oven baked tots instead of fried, place prepared tots on baking sheet sprayed with nonstick then bake at 400°F for 25 minutes. Flip half way through.
Stay up-to-date with Thrive® Algae Oil.