Warning: Illegal string offset 'target' in /home/thrivea/thrive/web/wp-content/themes/thrive/inc/extras.php on line 57
Carrot, Cabbage & Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Crispy Tofu, Toasted Seeds and Citrus Vinaigrette
Chef Caroline Fey of The City Kitchen San Francisco
- 1 Small bag shredded carrots
- 1 Small head purple cabbage, shredded on a mandoline
- 1 Small head green cabbage, shredded on a mandoline
- 1 Pound brussels sprouts, trimmed, finely grated or shredded with a knife
- 1 Large garlic clove, grated or minced
- 1⁄4 Cup finely diced shallot
- 1⁄4 Teaspoon packed each: lemon zest, orange zest, grapefruit zest
- 2 Tablespoons each: fresh lemon juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar (confirm brand ingredients if celiac)
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard (confirm brand ingredients if celiac)
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Cup Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil
- 1 Teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning salad
- 1⁄2 Teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 container extra firm tofu, drained, well dried and cut into 1⁄2-inch dice (confirm type of tofu if celiac)
- Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil for searing
- Prepare the vinaigrette: Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Place the carrots, half of each head of cabbage and brussels sprouts in a large bowl with a generous pinch of kosher salt. Toss with enough dressing to lightly coat the greens. Add most of the seeds and gently toss again. Transfer to a serving bowl or platter.
- Get a small non-stick pan very hot. Add a few tablespoon of Thrive® Culinary Algae Oil and about half of the package of tofu. Cook the tofu cubes until crispy on all sides. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the tofu to the top of the salad and sprinkle the remaining seeds over the top.